If you are searching for a career/employment opportunity, why not take your time and try out on this one? Here is another Job Opportunity In Kenya: ILRI Vacancy: Senior Scientist – Livestock Systems and Environment
Organization: International Livestock Research Institute
Closing date: 20 Sep 2015
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Senior Scientist to lead research activities on measuring the environmental footprint of livestock. We seek someone with an established international profile and record of resource mobilization.
ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia. The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animals alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and farm productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases. www.ilri.orgFREE GIVEAWAY:- Amazon.com - Read eBooks using the FREE Kindle Reading App on Most Devices. Click above, enter your email, select new user, enter name, wait, add and finish. It's 100% FREE and a lifetime offer.
ILRI is a not-for-profit institution with a staff of about 700 and in 2015 an annual operating budget of USD 83 million. A member of the CGIAR Consortium working for a food-secure future, ILRI has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, a principal campus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and offices in other countries in East, West and Southern Africa and in South, Southeast and East Asia. www.cgiar.org
To improve knowledge on the environmental footprint of livestock production in developing countries, ILRI has established an environmental laboratory, called the Mazingira Centre. The Mazingira Centre provides a qualitative improvement in Africa’s environmental research infrastructure and capacity, and aims at establishing:
- Accurate and verifiable GHG emission factors due to livestock and crop production and land-use change.
- Frameworks to assess socioeconomic impacts of environmental degradation.
- Monitoring of land degradation, soil fertility, erosion and hydrology.
- Experimental programmes to develop improved ruminant feeding that will simultaneously decrease GHG emission factors.
- Scientific leadership and coordination of research on the environmental footprint of livestock production with specific focus on:
- GHG emissions due to land use change including soil carbon stock changes.
- GHG fluxes from rangelands, including soil degradation and rehabilitation.
- Analysis and interpretation of GHG fluxes in agricultural and livestock systems in the developing world.
- Contribution to studies on:
- Livestock diet intensification as a mitigation strategy in livestock systems.
- Trade-offs between adaptation and mitigation in livestock systems at different scales.
- Contributions to ILRI’s research on future impact of climate change on livestock systems and development of strategies to mitigate GHG emissions from livestock systems and other negative environmental impacts (e.g. soil degradation, water eutrophication).
- Lead resource mobilization efforts for the ILRI Environmental Laboratory (Mazingira Centre).
- Lead dissemination activities in this field including:
- Writing high quality scientific papers and reports.
- Representing ILRI in high level panels/meetings like the Global Research Alliance on Livestock (GRA), Global Agenda of Action for Sustainable Livestock (GAA) and others.
- Engaging in the development of policy-relevant messages and interact accordingly with key stakeholders.
- PhD in Bio-geochemistry or related field.
- Minimum seven years post-doctoral experience.
- Established track record in environmental research with a focus on GHG emissions and environmental assessments.
- Excellent leadership skills and demonstrated experience in managing large, complex research for development projects.
- Experience in developing countries and agricultural research on livestock systems is desirable.
Post location:The position is based in ILRI Nairobi, Kenya.
Position level: Senior Scientist, Level 5A, dependent on qualifications and experience.
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
How to apply:
How to apply:Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development. The position title and reference number REF: SS/LSE/ 08/2015should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com by 20 September 2015.
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
More ILRI jobs
Disclaimer. Thekonsulthub.com neither screens employers nor endorses their employment opportunities, labor practices, products, or services. You are therefore advised to attempt to check the validity and accuracy of job listings on the Employers website.