If you are searching for a career/employment opportunity, why not take your time and try out on this one? Here is another Job Opportunity In Germany: UNU-EHS Internship, EVES section (Fluency in English and Bengali)
Organization: United Nations University
Closing date: 31 Dec 2015
UNU-EHS INTERNSHIP PROGRAMMEFREE GIVEAWAY:- Amazon.com - Read eBooks using the FREE Kindle Reading App on Most Devices. Click above, enter your email, select new user, enter name, wait, add and finish. It's 100% FREE and a lifetime offer.
Organizational Unit: United Nations University – Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS)
Reference Number: UNU-EHS/EVES/ DELTAS – Bangladesh
Applications: *By email to:*
Application deadline: Rolling
United Nations University’s Mission: The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. For more information, please visit www.unu.edu.
UNU-EHS, established in December 2003, addresses the risk and vulnerability aspects of human security and the consequences of complex environmental hazards for sustainable development. The work of UNU‐EHS helps to improve the in‐depth understanding of the cause effect relationships to find ways to reduce risks and vulnerabilities. The Institute supports policymakers and decision makers with evidence‐based research and information.
EVES section explores environmental deterioration processes such as water and land degradation. Particularly, the section looks at remedial measures, resources availability and robustness of ecosystem services, all within the context of socio ecological systems affected by environmental hazards.
Project context: Catalyzing action towards sustainability of deltaic systems with an integrated modelling framework for risk assessment (DELTAS)
The project aims to develop a versatile modeling framework to evaluate the unique functioning, critical stressors, and vulnerability of the deltas globally. The framework will consider social, economic, physical and ecosystem data into an open-access repository and will allow planners to model and deliver optimized, viable solutions for their specific regions. The framework will initially be applied to three case-study deltas for which local and regional partnerships are already in place, namely the Ganges-Brahmaputra-Meghna (GBM), Mekong, and Amazon deltas. Within the international consortium, UNU-EHS is responsible for the development of Global Delta Vulnerability Indices (Delta-GDVI).
Responsibilities of the successful applicant:
Contribute to the indicator development and data acquisition with following tasks:
· Contribute to the literature review on vulnerability indicators published in the context of the Amazon Delta in English AND Bengali ;
· Search for suitable secondary sub-national data for identified vulnerability indicators from various sources (geoportals, databases, statistical publications, policy documents etc.; mostly in Bengali );
· Collect and store the data;
· Conduct data entry when the data is not available in an excel-spreadsheet;
· Conduct data cleaning and validation, including conversion of data in Geographic Information System (GIS)-ready formats;
· Support the correspondence with partners, organizations and authorities in Bangladesh (in English and Bengali) to find missing data and validate data;
· Contribute to the development and application of indicator-based spatial multi-hazard vulnerability assessments (mainly focused on the Amazon delta);
· Any other duties as may be assigned or required.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Field of Study: Geography, Geoinformatics, Social Sciences, Environmental sciences with social sciences minors, or a related field.
Essential Skills and attributes:
· Excellent command of English and Bengali
· Experience in data collection and management
· Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
· Proven record of computer proficiency (particularly strong skills in excel),
· Willingness to learn new technology skills and methods
· Background in vulnerability assessments and indicator development is an asset
· Ability to work independently
· An interest in scientific research and science-policy-interaction
· Willingness to work in a culturally diverse environment
· Work with the concepts of vulnerability and ecosystem services;
· Apply an indicator-based spatial approach to assess vulnerability;
· Improve ability to search, collect, store and manage large amounts of data;
· Acquire knowledge and gain hands-on experience related to international governmental organization processes;
· Understanding of the project work and related activities of UNU and the UN System;
· Gain work experience within UN international working environment.
The successful candidate will be based at UNU-EHS in Bonn on a full-time basis (40 hours per week) for a contractual period ranging between 3-6 months. The internship is not remunerated.
As soon as possible
How to apply:
Interested applicants should submit their application, by e-mail, and must include the following:
· Curriculum Vitae in English;
· Cover letter in English: outlining your motivations, possible contributions to the programme and future career goals;
· Completed UNU-EHS application form (downloadable at: http://www.ehs.unu.edu/article/read/about-the-internship-programme-at-unu-ehs under Links & Documents);
· Two letters of recommendation.
For more information about the application procedure, please visit http://www.ehs.unu.edu/article/read/internship-application-procedure.
Workforce diversity is essential to UNU. Suitably qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds including minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be handled with the strictest confidence.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Unsuccessful applications will not be acknowledged nor returned.
If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected].
Disclaimer. Thekonsulthub.com neither screens employers nor endorses their employment opportunities, labor practices, products, or services. You are therefore advised to attempt to check the validity and accuracy of job listings on the Employers website.