Greece: Regional Communications Officer
If you are searching for a career/employment opportunity, why not take your time and try out on this one? Here is another Job Opportunity In Greece: Regional Communications Officer
Organization: International Rescue Committee
Closing date: 25 Dec 2015
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world's worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The European refugee crisis has seen the world's richest single market struggle to respond to a refugee crisis that has been years in the making, with the majority of refugees fleeing war in Syria that has been raging for almost 5 years. IRC is delivering a robust humanitarian response to the crisis and has appealed for $33 million to support our work across the region. The IRC is the only NGO that is helping Syrians inside Syria, those in the neighboring countries (Lebanon, Turkey, Iraq, Jordan), those arriving to Europe (Lesbos, Greece) and nearby countries like Serbia, and resettling refugees in the United States.
This position offers an exciting opportunity to provide strategic, skilled and dynamic leadership to planning and execution of strategic media relations (including development of press releases, web site and social media content, facilitating media visits and interviews, pitching stories that highlight IRC's work and humanitarian needs, etc) to give a voice to the plight of refugees in the region. The Media Officer reports to the IRC's Regional Refugee Representative and collaborates closely with IRC's Director of Communications in New York and communications colleagues in the UK and Europe.
- Proactively engage with international and regional media to pitch stories about IRC's programs, advocacy priorities and partnerships that results in high-quality, top-tier coverage.
- Provide stories – with accompanying photographs or video – for IRC's website and internal and external visibility products, as well as for other external outlets including social media, blogs, magazines, journals etc.
- Develop, write and issue press releases, background information and Q&As about IRC programs and issues of concern in coordination with New York and Europe colleagues as well as regional program colleagues.
- Respond to information requests from news media; assess and evaluate media requests, including research as necessary; give and arrange interviews; and assist journalists and photographers in coordinating coverage of IRC programs.
- Coordinate with appropriate personnel in partner NGOs for joint media/advocacy initiatives.
- Attend and/or represent IRC at press conferences and coordination meetings. Collect and disseminate information.
- Work closely with the NY-based Communications Director and other communications and advocacy colleagues in New York, Washington, London, Brussels and Geneva. Act as a liaison to and vital member of a global media team.
- Work with the Regional Refugee representative to align media and advocacy strategic objectives, including contributions to global and regional communications strategies and operational plans.
- Work with the IRC's global content team to improve internal information products, seek out stories that may be appropriate for external audiences, and collaborate on grant visibility requirements.
- Work with Program colleagues to arrange reporters' field visits, and accompany as required.
- Serve as external relations resource for field staff, including to train IRC staff on media relations.
- Monitor and evaluate media coverage generated and draw lessons to improve coverage.
- Seek thought leadership and media opportunities for IRC's senior staff.
Job Requirements: The requirements should establish a baseline (minimum) for educational background, previous work experience, professional knowledge or certification, specific skills and strengths and any other skill necessary to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Education: Degree in international affairs, journalism, communications or related field.
- Work Experience: At least four years of experience in public relations or journalism in an international context.
- Demonstrated Skills and Competencies: Should have experience working overseas in a developing country or conflict zone.
- Superb English-language oral and written reporting skills. Demonstrated ability to write and edit stories, articles and reports on deadline and of highest quality.
- Persistent and determined drive to uncover opportunities for and to pitch stories to media.
- Excellent networking, interpersonal, communication, relationship-building and negotiation skills
- Proven ability to persuade and influence colleagues not under supervisory authority.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to respond to multiple priorities in a timely manner, delivering high-quality products.
- Culturally sensitive; able and interested in working with a multi-ethnic team.
- Strong commitment to the IRC's mission, purpose and values.
- A demonstrated keen understanding of political complexities in the Middle East and Europe
- Must be willing and able to travel frequently within the region.
- Language Skills: Fluency in English is essential; Greek language a plus
- Certificates or Licenses: Driving license
Working Environment: The position will be based in Athens/Greece. But for operational reasons the position duty station maybe changed to one of the two locations: Athens/Greece, Belgrade/Serbia. This position requires travel throughout the region for estimated at 30%.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
How to apply:
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=a2F0cmluYW1pbGxlci4xMzIwNS4zODMwQGlyYy5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20
Disclaimer. Thekonsulthub.com neither screens employers nor endorses their employment opportunities, labor practices, products, or services. You are therefore advised to attempt to check the validity and accuracy of job listings on the Employers website.