How To 301 WP Broken Links Using Redirect Editor Plugin
When a WordPress site or any other blog has Broken links, having them redirected using the 301 permanent redirection is one way which can ensure that the ones site is not negatively affected due to the above as we all know it well when it comes to links returning a 404 not found error. Broken link and 404 Error pages not only hurt a site in SERPs but too makes a website loose its visitors since many of the internet users myself inclusive tend to hate landing on 404 pages regardless of where one came from be in search engines (organic traffic) or others forms like referrals.
When I migrated one of my Blogs from Blogger to WordPress, I almost lost all of my old links which used the Blogger permalink style since I had adapted a new permalink on my WP site and which I loved more as compared to the one I was using on my former Blog. And within only a few days of migration, I realized how my Google Webmaster tools Crawl errors returned my entire site post pages as Not found and which meant a huge loss in the traffic I was getting to my site not until I found a solution after a thorough search and testing of the different plugins with a 301 support and which was the Redirect Editor plugin.
In fact, I have since received so many emails from my old blogger visitors and friends asking me how I managed to Channel all my old Blogger powered permalinks to my WordPress site and that is why I decided to share everything from a plugin search, installation and adding your 404 returning pages to the new preferred destinations courtesy of Redirect Editor plugin. And if your WordPress Blog has such 404 error or Not found pages, then you can try out using the procedure below and within only a few minutes, you will have all of your old non matching permalinks pointing to your new links.
1. Visit the WordPress plugins directory, search for Redirect Editor plugin and download it.
2. Log in to your WordPress site Admin and go to Plugins, Add new and select upload and or, you can simply skip step one above and simply use the plugin search option while looking out for the same plugin name.
3. Upload or Install the plugin and activate it so as to get started.
4. Now go to Settings, scroll to Redirect Editor and click to open set up.
5. Copy the old URL and paste it on one line without the .com for example if the old link is yoursite.com/2013/09/your-blog-post-title.htm, just add /2013/09/your-blog-post-title.htm
6. Then copy the new location link for and paste it on the same line where you posted the old link in full while adding a space between the URLs for example;
Save settings and you will be done. Please note that you will need to repeat the same activity on every broken link while adding its new location.
Liked this article or found it helpful? Share it with your friends using the social share buttons below and or post a comment to let us know your feedback or any addition using the comment form below.