Kenya: EVENTS & PUBLICATION ASSISTANT,(NAIROBI),Deadline:15 September 2015
If you are searching for a career/employment opportunity, why not take your time and try out on this one? Here is another Job Opportunity In Kenya: EVENTS & PUBLICATION ASSISTANT,(NAIROBI),Deadline:15 September 2015
Organization: UN Human Settlements Program
Closing date: 15 Sep 2015
Download PDF Version
CONSULTANT VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENTIssued on: 7 September 2015
FUNCTIONAL TITLE:EVENTS & PUBLICATION ASSISTANT
CLOSING DATE:15 September 2015
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the United Nations agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
The Urban Legislation, Land and Governance Branch supports the development of adequate land management tools, urban legislation and urban governance models and institutions as a contribution to sustainable urban development. It provides policy and technical assistance, through operational projects, to national and sub-national governments, including local authorities, and other Habitat Agenda partners with respect to urban legislation, land and governance, including urban safety;
The Land and GLTN Unit, located within the Urban Legislation, Land and Governance Branch of UN-Habitat has the mandate to develop, test and disseminate pro-poor and gender responsive approaches in regard to urban land, innovative residential tenures, affordable land management/administration systems, and land related regulatory/legal frameworks and tools. The Unit hence focuses on research and tool development also to supply technical advice to Member States and backstop the Regional offices and other sections of UN-Habitat. Land tools provide a resource for enabling action. While there has been extensive global discussion around land policies that work for the poor, there has been insufficient attention paid to the development of methods for developing and implementing these pro-poor land policies. Consequently what are required are land tools that are affordable and accessible for all sections of the population in countries around the world. This is essential for creating societies with sustainable, equal access and use of land. Work has already started on these approaches, both for developing and post-conflict societies. Incremental expansion of this work over time, as capacity is developed, will take place through the Global Land Tool Network (GLTN, the Network), the Secretariat of which is located at UN-Habitat.
This post is located in the Urban Legislation, Land and Governance Branch. The individual contractor will be reporting jointly to the Programme Management Officer and the Communications Officer.
The consultant will provide support to the organizing of GLTN related events such as workshops, conferences, meetings, seminars and field visits to projects and the process of printing, disseminating and recording of GLTN publications.
SUPPORT TO EVENTS, WORKSHOPS AND MEETINGS
- Assist project leaders and substantive officers in planning and designing for events including on themes, destination, facilitators, participants, etc;
- Ensure logistical arrangements for the organization of meetings, workshop, conferences, seminars, field visit to projects and missions of staff members, facilitators and meeting participants;
- Preparation of cost estimates, travel arrangements, obtaining quotes for venue, calculation of DSAs, verifying travel claims and working with the UNON and UNOPS’ procurement and travel unit to ensure compliance with UN rules etc;
- Liaise with travelers including facilitators and participants on all matters pertaining to the forthcoming events;
- Assist in the application of visas and travel documents for staff and consultants to venues of meetings and bookings of accommodation where necessary;
- Ensure that mission reports, web articles are undertaken by staff members after missions or after attending conferences, meetings and workshops.
- Prepare and update the event and travel/mission plan for the Land and GTLN Unit on a quarterly basis and uploading the information on K Drive.
COORDINATION SUPPORT TO THE PRODUCTION OF PUBLICATIONS AND INFORMATION MATERIALS
- Assist in the planning for publications, editing, printing and translation works;
- Assist in the preparation of GLTN Newsletters and publications catalogue and information and communication materials;
- Coordinate dissemination work, shipment arrangements, courier services, etc. for GLTN publications and promotional items;
- Review, record, distribute and/or processes mail and other documents; follow-up on impending actions;
- Update and maintain large distribution lists; monitor, prepare and distribute various materials, reports, where possible using electronic formats;
- Update and maintain a glossary of terms on land-related issues, particularly building on existing UN-Habitat and GLTN publications;
- Assist in the improvement of GLTN publications search engine on the website
- Assist in identifying subject matter for GLTN newsletter
- Update the necessary databases for monitoring contracts and payments
- Provide support in the management, maintenance and updating of GLTN contacts, email lists, information and documents stored in the shared drive and other related information management work.
- Prepare and update the Annual Procurement Plan for the Land and GLTN Unit for clearance by the Unit Leader.
- Assist in the procurement process for assets and equipment for the Land and GLTN Unit through UNOPS and work with UNOPS Project Officer in the Unit;
- Provide inputs to the Unit reporting including monthly status reports on publications, events, procurement and other related tasks.
- Liaise with relevant staff of UN-Habitat, UNON and contractors offices (e.g. travel unit, travel agents, print shop, ISS, procurement) to expedite required services;
- Keep record of electronic and hard documents and ensure the project filing system is up to date;
- Assist in the administration of inventories and the property, plant and equipment including maintenance of asset records and documents.
- Perform any other related tasks and duties as assigned by the supervisors.
COMPETENCIES (maximum of five)
Professionalism : Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to land and food security; Ability to identify issues, analyse and participate in the resolution of issues/problems; Ability to apply judgement, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
Planning and Organizing: Develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently. Ability to work under pressure, establish priorities and plan, coordinate own work plan, use time efficiently and apply judgment in the context of competing deadlines. Ability to work with minimal supervision and with good sense of initiative.
Communication: Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to articulate complex ideas in a clear and accurate manner including the ability to present the content of the thematic area in a clear and concise manner. Keep the supervisor regularly informed of progress.
Creativity: Is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches, takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; is flexible and able to think "outside the box", and offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs.
High school diploma or equivalent. Technical training in administration, public relations or events management desirable.
A least five years of progressively responsible experience in organizing international events. UN and or international organization experience and or work experience in international programmes related to events management and publication is an asset. Familiarity with UN Travel and procurement rule is desirable.
Ability to work with minimal supervision and with good sense of initiative to keep the supervisor regularly informed of progress.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For the consultancies advertised, excellent proficiency English, both verbal and written, is required. Ability in verbal and/or written French or Spanish will be desirable
Payments will be based on deliverables over the consultancy period. There are set remuneration rates for consultancies. The rate is determined by functions performed and experience of the consultant. The fees will be paid as per agreement.Freebie:- It's free and designed for you! Claim yours here now
How to apply:
Applications should include:
• Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
• CV in the PHP format, accessible through the INSPIRA website (inspira.un.org) Please note, if using INSPIRA for the first time, you need to register in order to activate your account, which will allow you to log in and create a personal History Profile.
• The PHP should be attached to the application as a PDF file.
• Summary CV (maximum 2 pages), indicating the following information:
- Educational Background (incl. dates)
- Professional Experience (assignments, tasks, achievements, duration by years/ months)
- Other Experience and Expertise (e.g. Internships/ voluntary work, etc.)
- Expertise and preferences regarding location of potential assignments
- Expectations regarding remuneration
• Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
Please also be advised that since April 15th 2010, applicants for consultancies must be part of the
UN-HABITAT e-Roster in order for their application to be considered. You can reach the e-Roster
through the following link: http://e-roster.unhabitat.org
All applications should be submitted to:
Mr./ Ms. Josephine Ruria
P.O. Box 30030, 00100 Nairobi, Kenya
Email: [email protected]
Deadline for applications: 15 September 2015
UN-HABITAT does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: [email protected]
Download PDF Version
Disclaimer. Thekonsulthub.com neither screens employers nor endorses their employment opportunities, labor practices, products, or services. You are therefore advised to attempt to check the validity and accuracy of job listings on the Employers website.