University Education in Africa is started very m,any years ago with many of the then institutions becoming Universities through merging while others were founded as Varsities but all with a main purpose of offer University education there by making Africa to be one of the continents offering first class education. And in this article, I did make a compilation of up to 50 top old African universities which are still offering education in the once known as a Dark Continent and which too doubles as the second largest continent in the world.
1. Addis Ababa University Ethiopia – Located in Piazza, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and originally known as the University College of Addis Ababa, the Addis Ababa University Ethiopia is one which was formed in 1950 and still offering quality Education in Africa to-date.
2. Cairo University – This is one of the oldest Universities in Africa which was founded in December 1908 and is located in Oula, Giza, Egypt.
3. The University of Nairobi – While it became an independent University in 1970, the University for founded in 1956 and todate still being the largest University in Kenya.
4. The University of Benin – Founded in 1970 as an Institute of Technology, the UNIBEN whichy is located in Benin City, Nigeria became a full University in 1971.
5. University of Zambia – This is one which has been in existence since 1966 when it was formed and is located in Kalundu, Lusaka, Zambia.
6. University of the Free State – Also known as a multi campus public university in Bloemfontein, the University was established in 1904 and is located in the capital of the Free State.
7. Makerere University Kampala – Also known as MUK, this is the largest University In Uganda and was founded in 1922 after it was first established as technical institution/school.
8. Rhodes University – This is a Research based University which was founded in 1904 and is located in Eastern Cape Province of South Africa.
9. Kenyatta University – Was founded in 1985 and is located in Kahawa, a 20 kilometer drive from Kenya’s capital Nairobi.
10. University of Fort Hare – Was founded in 1916 and operated as a key higher education for the blacks till 1959 when it turned into a public university and is located in Alice, Eastern Cape, South Africa.
Other 40 African Universities offering education include the following below.
1. Université d’Oran Algeria
2. University of Cape Town South Africa
3. German University in Cairo Egypt
4. Université de la Reunion
5. University of Namibia
6. University of Zimbabwe
7. Université Nationale du Rwanda
8. Universiteit Stellenbosch South Africa
9. Polytechnic of Namibia Namibia
10. Suez Canal University Egypt
11. University of Dar es Salaam Tanzania
12. University of South Africa
13. University of Mauritius
14. University of Ghana
15. University of Johannesburg South Africa
16. University of Khartoum Sudan
17. United States International University Kenya
18. Université Saad Dahlab de Blida Algeria
19. Université Djillali Liabes Algeria
20. Vaal University of Technology South Africa
21. Université de Béjaïa Algeria
22. Université d’Oran Algeria
23. South Valley University Egypt
24. Université Ferhat Abbas de Sétif Algeria
25. Ain Shams University Egypt
26. Université de Sfax Tunisia
27. Université Hassan II – Mohammedia Morocco
28. Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University South Africa
29. Université Abdelhamid Ibn Badis de Mostaganem Algeria
30. University of Limpopo South Africa
31. Nile University Egypt
32. University of Technology, Mauritius Mauritius
33. Strathmore University Kenya
34. Al Azhar University Egypt
35. Lagos State University Nigeria
36. Al Akhawayn University Morocco
37. American University in Cairo Egypt
38. Université Badji Mokhtar de Annaba Algeria
39. Federal University of Technology, Akure Nigeria
40. Institut International d’Ingénierie de l’Eau et de l’Environnement (2iE) Burkina Faso