Formerly known as the driving permit, the process of renewing a driver’s licence in Uganda begins by fulfilling all the requirements necessary to get the renewal. Unlike in the past when for as long as you had a license, you would simply make the necessary payment and proceed to the defunct Face technologies, things changed a lot ever since Uganda Driver licensing system (UDLS) took over.
Before thinking of renewing your Uganda driver’s license, make sure that you have the below mandatory requirements.
Requirements for renewing driver’s licence in Uganda
- Original expired drivers licence
- Possession of an original national ID
- Valid Passport for foreigners (Original Copy)
- Refugee card for refugees (Original Copy)
- Proof of payment of Drivers licence renewal fees (URA Payment PRN)
- Duly signed and stamped application for renewal of drivers license medical form (optional)
- Original or certified copy of newspaper advert for a lost drivers license
- Police letter (To whom it may concern) for a lost drivers licence
- Any other as may be requested
Proceed to UDSL offices located at Uganda Railways on Nasser road
Once you have all of the above as your cases apply, you should proceed to Uganda Driver licensing system (UDLS) offices located at Uganda Railways head offices along Nasser road before reaching Victoria University. You will be requested to present documents, after which you will follow the queue until your ticket number is reached.
At the counter, your documents will be verified including the driver’s license payment number (URA PRN) to confirm that indeed you paid. Once all is approved, you will be issued with a new driver’s license issued by UDLS corresponding with the number of years you paid for.
Remember, you can renew your driver’s license in Uganda for 1 year, 3 years, and or 5 years. The number of years determines the amount of money you will be required to pay at the bank, minus bank charges which vary from bank to bank, and so on if you decide to pay using MTN mobile money.