Somalia: Administrative Associate – UNOCHA – (Open to Somali Nationals Only)
If you are searching for a career/employment opportunity, why not take your time and try out on this one? Here is another Job Opportunity In Somalia: Administrative Associate – UNOCHA – (Open to Somali Nationals Only)
Organization: UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Closing date: 21 Sep 2015
The situation in Somalia remains fragile with continued political instability, climatic variability, and lack of basic social services. OCHA’s role is to coordinate effective and principled inter-agency humanitarian response and ensure that relief assistance reaches the people who need it in a timely manner. In line with OCHA’s global mission, OCHA Somalia continues to:
- Advocate for access to basic services, especially water, sanitation, education and health for vulnerable communities, including the collection, analysis and dissemination of information to humanitarian partners, and negotiation of access;
- Support the government efforts and humanitarian organizations in relocation of internally displaced and return;
- Coordinate the implementation of humanitarian response in Somalia with UN agencies and programmes, national and international NGOs and local authorities/communities as appropriate, with focus on strengthening the cluster approach;
- Enhance a protective environment that respects the human rights of all, including IDPs, returnees and minority clans.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Head of Sub Office, the Administrative Associate assists in the overall management of administrative services, administers and executes processes and transactions ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Associate promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
Description of Responsibilities :
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies;
- Efficient administrative support;
- Support to supply and assets management;
- Support to administrative and financial control;
- Support to common services;
- Coordination of Registry and Receptionist functions;
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/OCHA rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Provision of inputs to the OCHA administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs);
- Preparation of administrative team results-oriented work plans.
Ensures efficient administrative support , focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization and coordination of shipments and customs clearance;
- Coordination of travel arrangements. Performing travel administrator in UMOJA;
- Organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation;
- Organization of workshops, conferences, retreats;
- Coordination of DSA, travel agencies, and other administrative surveys, surveys for organization of common services;
- Support with protocol matters, registration of staff, coordination with local authority on space and other administrative matters;
- Supervision of vehicle rental services;
- Coordination of transportation services, regular vehicle maintenance and insurance;
- Checking and certifying of vehicle daily log and gas consumption, update and maintenance of vehicle history report;
- Prompt reporting and investigation of cases of vehicle accidents, damage, loss or theft of items; update and maintenance of vehicle history report;
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
Provides support to proper supply and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Coordination of assets management in the OCHA office, timely preparation and submission of periodic inventory reports;
- Coordination of the provision of reliable and quality office supplies.
Provides support for effective administrative and financial control in the office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures;
- Request creation of Business partner in UMOJA;
- Maintenance of data integrity in the database, control programme; analysis of results and initiation of corrective actions when necessary;
- Coordination of common premises/services cost-recovery arrangements;
- Proper control of supporting documents of funds and activities;
- Provision of the information for the audit.
Ensures proper common services focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Maintenance of common services/office space management to ensure integrated activities on common services and implementation of the UN reform.
Coordinates implementation of Registry and Receptionist functions, supervises Registry Clerk and Receptionist, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of efficient general reception and information services;
- Provision of reliable registry services.
Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing at OCHA , focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Training of staff on the administrative procedures;
- Briefing/debriefing of staff members on issues relating to area of work;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the unit. Accurate analysis and presentation of information, thoroughly researched and fully documented work strengthens the capacity of the office and facilitates subsequent action by the supervisor. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems;
- Prepares timely inputs to reports.Freebie:- It's free and designed for you! Claim yours here now
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Qualifications :
- Secondary education with specialized certification in Administration or related field;
- University Degree in Business or Public Administration is desirable but not a requirement.
- Minimum 6 years of relevant experience in administration or programme support service;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English.
- Knowledge of Somali is required.
How to apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application by visiting: http://jobs.undp.org/ or
Disclaimer. Thekonsulthub.com neither screens employers nor endorses their employment opportunities, labor practices, products, or services. You are therefore advised to attempt to check the validity and accuracy of job listings on the Employers website.