Sudan: State Program Manager (East Darfur)
If you are searching for a career/employment opportunity, why not take your time and try out on this one? Here is another Job Opportunity In Sudan: State Program Manager (East Darfur)
Organization: American Refugee Committee International
Closing date: 27 Nov 2015
POSITION TITLE: State Program Manager
COUNTRY PROGRAM: Sudan (East Darfur – Ed Daein)
RESPONSIBLE TO: Country Director
STATUS: Full time
SUPERVISORY CAPACITY: Technical/Operations teams
DATE: November 2015
COUNTRY PROGRAM /MISSION
The American Refugee Committee (ARC) Sudan Program started in 2004 in response to the emergency needs of some 500,000 conflict-affected IDPs and host populations in the Tulus and Gereida corridors in East Darfur. The overall aim of the program is to improve the well-being of the target populations by addressing their immediate humanitarian needs and contributing to long-term community stabilization.
In conjunction with the Head Office in Khartoum, the field office in Nyala supports the delivery of primary health care services at 14 rehabilitated community clinics and a large clinic in the Gereida camp in addition to reaching out with mobile clinic services to 6 remote communities in which health facilities have not yet been rehabilitated. Water and sanitation services, including the construction/rehabilitation of boreholes water yards, household and institutional latrines and hygiene promotion messages, are also delivered in over 70 conflict-affected communities. A small agriculture component assists resettling IDPs and host populations with seeds, tools and extension services to grow their own food.
With an annual budget of between $9-12m, the Sudan Program has 10 expatriates and over 370 national staff some of who are seconded from the line Ministries of the Sudan government.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The State Program Manager in East Darfur is the leader of the East Darfur team and is responsible for the overall design and implementation of the ARC programs in East Darfur. This is a key management position in the country program and a member of the Country Management Team.
This includes leading technical teams (sectors) in the development of sector plans/proposals; internally and externally coordinating sector activities; establishing and maintaining public relations with state authorities, UN agencies, other NGOs and implementing partners; coordinating management support, including resource allocations and utilization among sectors and administration and accounting for them; monitoring program implementation and reviewing plans as appropriate, managing all program staff, including performance management and staff development; coordinating the production of sector and program reports (ARC and donors) and reviewing/summarizing them for the Country Director; and ensuring program staff and assets are safe all the time.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
Program Management – 60%
- Supervise and coordinate all East Darfur staff activities to ensure activities are in line with ARC’s program objectives in East Darfur.
- Provide oversight of partner NGOs implementing health, water and sanitation, agriculture and other programs.
- Provide technical assistance to and build reporting capacity of senior field staff for report writing, data collection, presentations, and analysis.
- Prepare the monthly activity reports for submission to the Country Director.
- In conjunction with the Staff Safety Officer, ensure that Security Standard Operating Procedures are current and in line with ARC and UN guidelines.
- Communicate with the Head on a daily basis to apprise the Country Director of the current situation, on both program and security issues.
- · As directed, represent ARC at official meetings, serve as the ARC liaison in the field on program issues, including liaising with UN agencies as directed by the Country Director.
- Prepare donor reports in a timely manner.
- Monitor and evaluate all field activities.
- Promote overall program coherence in the ARC East Darfur, by ensuring that all projects have well-defined performance indicators and output monitoring mechanisms.
- Provide technical advice and program support, as necessary.
- Draft grant proposals as directed by Country Director.
- Support Technical Coordinators in the development of program structure, identification of human resource needs and preparation of individual job descriptions.
- Facilitate monthly management meetings to review progress on plans, spending on budget and other management issues.
Feed all field management issues into Country Management Team meetings.
Advise the Country Director on current and potential needs of refugee and IDP populations in East Darfur in appropriate sectors (i.e. Health, WatSan, Shelter, Food Security, etc).
Participate as a member of a needs assessment team for any potential new programs as directed by the Country Director.
Personnel Management —20%
- Directly supervise program staff in the field, providing regular performance feedback.
- Build capacity of staff in a proactive and strategic manner.
- Assist in mid-cycle and annual Performance Appraisals.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Over 5 years’ experience with an INGO in a management position in complex emergency or post-conflict settings.
- University degree in the Social Sciences, International Policy or Administration or related field; Master’s degree preferable.
- Experience in managing a multi-sector program; proposal/grant writing, management, monitoring and evaluation; conducting needs assessments.
- Experience in managing and working with a multicultural staff; strong participatory leadership and interpersonal skills; ability to motivate and counsel staff working in a complex emergency environment.
- USAID/OFDA/UNHCR background preferred.
- Experience and/or knowledge of Sudan (history, politics, culture, etc.) and sensitive to issues involved in working in Sudan preferable.
- Strong verbal and written communication experience.
- Strong computer literacy; strong skills in Microsoft Office.
- Must be fluent in English, knowledge of Arabic a plus.
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
- Highly motivated self-starter who takes direction well, but also works independently.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, effectively managing multiple priorities.
- An exemplary team leader/player.
- Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations.
- Willingness to work and live in remote and security difficult situation.
- Cultural sensitivity essential.
How to apply:
Click here to apply
Disclaimer. Thekonsulthub.com neither screens employers nor endorses their employment opportunities, labor practices, products, or services. You are therefore advised to attempt to check the validity and accuracy of job listings on the Employers website.