If you are searching for a career/employment opportunity, why not take your time and try out on this one? Here is another Job Opportunity In Switzerland: Press and Public Affairs Officer
Organization: UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Closing date: 25 Oct 2015
The UK Mission to the United Nations in Geneva is part of a world-wide network, representing British interests overseas and is looking for a Press and Public Affairs Officer.
Geneva is a hub of multilateral diplomacy, home to leading international agencies, think-tanks and non-governmental organisations, offering substantive opportunities to engage, influence and shape foreign policy.Enter your email, select new user, enter name, wait, add and finish all using this Free.
This is an exciting, intellectually stimulating and challenging role at the UK Mission, offering an opportunity to work across a range of policy issues, working directly with the Ambassador, including: human rights, global health, refugees and migration, trade, digital policy, disarmament, UN reform.
Much of this work will be organised around campaigns. The successful candidate will need to manage the communication side of these policy campaigns, organising events in close partnership with the Ambassador and policy teams. You will act as the principal point of contact for all press enquiries.
You may also be asked to represent and speak on behalf of the UK government at international organisations, conferences and other forums.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
· Public diplomacy and campaigns: improve public understanding of UK policies and objectives in key campaigns. You will lead, and work closely with other teams in the Mission, on high-profile events and projects throughout the year linked to the campaigns. You will seek to expand our profile beyond the traditional diplomatic network, reaching new audiences.
· Digital diplomacy: promoting UK policies using the full range of social media: Twitter, Blogs, Facebook, Flickr and Youtube. You will help create innovative new content and look to evaluate our impact, ensuring that we have the best social media profile of all Diplomatic Missions in Geneva.
· Press work: reactive and proactive press work. You will liaise direct with journalists and brief them on UK Government priorities. You will look to place articles in the media by UK Ministers, the UK Ambassador and senior officials. You will help devise press lines, draft speeches for the Ambassador/senior officials and assist with major visits.
Required Experience & Skills
· Knowledge (35%)– You already have existing knowledge of how to deliver effective communication campaigns and how to evaluate our impact, using a variety of tools. You have a good understanding of how to use social media to deliver key messages, particularly Twitter and Facebook. You will also need to demonstrate knowledge of event management to support our wider communications efforts. Ideally you will also have some understanding of the UN and/or one of the main policy areas covered in the UK Mission.
· Experience (40%)– You will have proven experience of working with the press/media and on organising seminars and events designed to attract press and digital media coverage. You will be able to pick up new themes/issues and to interact confidently with a range of senior press and UK contacts, including the Ambassador. You will be ready to expand your existing professional network.
· Skills (25%)– You will have strong communication skills, both written and oral. Good public speaking and presentation skills are essential, as you will be representing the UK Government. You will also need to demonstrate political awareness; you need to exercise good judgement in order to take decisions quickly, while being alive to risks (e.g. when developing press lines or responding to media inquiries). In addition, you have strong written skills and are able to draft interesting tweets, speeches and blogs, sourced from a wide range of material.
Fluency in English is essential. In addition, we require a good command of French, so that you can read the Francophone/local press, influence French speaking press contacts and produce French language content for our social media from time to time.
The successful candidate will be imaginative, proactive, and have a positive and can-do attitude. No two days at the Mission are the same, therefore you need to be able to multitask and be comfortable handling ambiguity. Above all else, you need to be a team player, able to remain calm under pressure and build good relationships with a diverse workforce.
He/she also needs to demonstrate high levels of proficiency in the following FCO key competences:
o Making Effective Decisions: effectiveness in this area is about being objective, using sound judgement, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice.
o Collaborating and Partnering: people skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
o Delivering Value for Money: delivering value for money involves the efficient, effective and economic use of taxpayers’ money in the delivery of public services.
o Engaging Internationally: effectiveness in this area is about leading internationally, engaging our staff, contacts and international partners to help deliver UK Government objectives.
Terms and Conditions
This is a full-time position, initially on a two year fixed-term contract, for 5 working days (40 hours per week) per week, at B3 level. Occasional evening/out of office hours work might be required (e.g. for a high level visit), but you will be compensated with time off in lieu.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check, security clearance and 6 months probation period.
Staff recruited locally by the UK Mission for the United Nations in Geneva are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Swiss employment law.
How to apply:
All applicants should submit their CV (in English, up to 3 pages) and Covering Letter (in English, no more than 1 page of A4, Arial11) setting out their motivation for the role and how they meet the above criteria. Applications should be sent to [email protected] and the email subject line must be formatted as follows: CHEG437.
The closing date for applications is 25 of October 2015.
Kindly note that your application will only be considered if:
- Your application has been sent within the time frame requested.
- Your application documents are fully in English.
- Your applications documents are in .pdf format.
Shortlisted candidates are likely to be called for interview in the week starting 9 November. Interviews will be based on the UK civil service competency framework for FCO B3 grade officers, using the job description/criteria above, and there may also be a written test (in English).
Please note that, because of the volume of applications we receive, we will only contact candidates selected for interview. If you do not hear from us you should assume that your application has not been successful.
Please be advised that the Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
British Diplomatic Missions are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
Disclaimer. Thekonsulthub.com neither screens employers nor endorses their employment opportunities, labor practices, products, or services. You are therefore advised to attempt to check the validity and accuracy of job listings on the Employers website.