The Step By Step Guide On How To Clear Your Electricity Bill Using Umeme Touch Pay In Uganda
Umeme Limited is a South African firm which acquired the then known as the Uganda Electricity Board after it was privatised some years back and divided into multiple companies like the Uganda Electricity Destribution Company Limited (UEDCL), the Uganda Electricity Transmission Company (UECTC) and Umeme where by all of the three serve different functions but under the watch of the Ministry of Energy. Umeme is responsible for making new power connections, collecting consumed energy, maintainance of supply related items like transformers and many others in addition to distributing the electricity Bills.
Of recently, Umeme did introduce a new service named Touch Pay and which is a system which enables the power or electricity or the energy consumers to clear up their bills using their mobile phones from any where a person may be other than having to either go to the bank and or to the Umeme offices to enact a payment as it is something which is time consuming due to the longer queues. The Touch Pay systems works in such a way that a user is required to access his or her phone SIM card menu according to the provider settings after which by successfully completing the procedures leads to a success payment just like you are soon seeing below.
What You Need To Get Started
1. Your Umeme account number for example 201689xxx
2. A Mobile phone connected on a Network which supports Mobile Money Services.
3. Having enough funds on your Mobile Money account.
How To Pay Using MTN Mobile Money
1. Open your mobile / cell phone menu and go to services or to the MTN Sim card Icon.
2. Select Mobile Money which is the very first one and click on OK.
3. Scroll down to Pay Bill, press OK and select Utilities.
4. Choose Umeme Touch Pay, press OK and select either Yaka (for those who use the newly power card) or Pay Bill for the metering service and press OK.
5. Enter your Umeme Account Number (the number which is located on your Bill) which is like 201689xxx and press OK.
6. Wait a few seconds and you will see a splash message like “XXXX, Acc: 201689xxx, Please pay your Umeme Bill. UGX XXX or -XXX Min Due: UGX1,000′ which represents both your Account names and the amount of money currently outstanding.
7. Now press OK, Pay now, input the amount of money you want to pay and press OK.
You will get a notification message from MTN with the amount of money paid and the reference number. Next you will get a message from Umeme confirming your payment and too with your reference number which you can use to track your payment when needed. At this time, you will need to wait for a period between 12 – 24 hors in order for your Umeme account to be credited. For other Networks, check this post.