Ukraine: Protection Manager, Mariupol/Berdyansk
If you are searching for a career/employment opportunity, why not take your time and try out on this one? Here is another Job Opportunity In Ukraine: Protection Manager, Mariupol/Berdyansk
Organization: Danish Refugee Council
Closing date: 12 Nov 2015
Protection Manager, Mariupol/Berdyansk
DRC in Ukraine
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has responded to the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine by re-entering the country in the autumn of 2014 and launching emergency humanitarian assistance for internally displaced persons (IDPs) and conflict affected in Berdyansk (Zaporizhia Oblast), Mariupol (southwestern Donetsk Oblast) and 5 other offices nationally. The specialized unit of the Danish Demining Group (DDG) has a mine risk education (MRE) programme also based in the Mariupol field office. The representative office is located in Kyiv.
In Mariupol and Berdyansk, activities include the distribution of cash and non-food items, light to medium shelter repairs, protection activities through legal assistance, information, individual assistance to families and mine risk education. In Mariupol DRC is currently implementing Winterization through cash transfer and protection activities. Donors include ECHO, OFDA, UNHCR, UNICEF, and Danida.
About the role
The Protection Manager works as part of the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) team under the supervision of DRC’s international Head of Office in Mariupol, with technical guidance and support from the Deputy Head of Programme for Protection (based in Kyiv), and in close coordination with Protection Managers in other offices.
The Protection Manager has overall responsibility for the implementation of all DRC protection activities in the GCA Donetsk Oblast and Berdyansk Oblast, directly managing protection teams. The Protection Manager is based in Mariupol with frequent visits to the field sites, depending on the security situation.
Duties & Responsibilities
Strategy and Programme Development
• Actively contribute to the development of the protection strategy for DRC Ukraine, regular protection analysis and thematic assessments, and drafting of new protection-focused project proposals.
• Lead the strategic development of DRC Protection Programme in the area of operation.
• Responsible for timely and quality implementation of all protection activities under the ongoing projects in the area of operation.
• Prepare and regularly review project work plans, and ensure that all protection staff and counterparts are familiar and adhere to the plans.
• In close coordination with Protection Managers in other offices, and with support from Deputy Head of Programme for Protection, develop relevant technical protection documents, guidelines and tools required for the projects.
• Actively promote and contribute to the development of protection referral pathways for Donetsk GCA.
• Conduct regular field visits to monitor project implementation and to support protection field teams.
• Ensure proper cooperation with other organizations and delivery of quality services.
Budgeting and financial management
• Manage the relevant budget lines and oversee related procurement for all DRC protection projects in implemented in the area of operation in compliance with donor and DRC guidelines, with support from DRC Admin & Finance team.
• Support Deputy Head of Programme for Protection in regular budget reviews for protection activities and in drafting accurate budgets for new project proposals.
• Coordinate the recruitment of local project staff.
• Directly manage a team of national protection staff; provide support and guidance to national staff
• Provide protection training and technical support to other DRC / DDG departments in mariupol.
Training & Capacity Building
• With support from Deputy Head of Programme for Protection, and in coordination with other Protection Managers, provide relevant training and technical guidance to all protection staff in Mariupol and Berdyansk offices. Ensure national staff capacity building strategy is followed.
• With support from Deputy Head of Programme for Protection, and in coordination with other Protection Managers, develop and deliver practical, context-tailored training for local duty bearers, other DRC units and NGO stakeholders in accordance with DRC’s commitments under the ongoing protection projects.
Coordination and Representation
• Stay up-to-date with the developments in the humanitarian response in the area of operations, and keep an updated mapping and contact list of key stakeholders.
• Establish and maintain good collaboration with key duty bearers, project counterparts and humanitarian agencies in the area of operation.
• Represent the DRC at all relevant coordination fora with partner organizations as well as duty bearers.
• Maintain good awareness of the political context, the dynamics of humanitarian intervention, and keep up-to-date with the events in NGCA, as well as in GCA Ukraine.
• Comply with DRC Ukraine Safety SOPs.
• With support from the Logistics Officer and the Safety Assistant oversee all staff movement plans, ensure that all project staff are trained in and comply with the safety protocols.
• Ensure close coordination and information sharing on safety issues within DRC and with other humanitarian actors.
Reporting & Accountability
• Produce high quality and timely reports for DRC internally and draft donor reports within agreed deadlines.
• Comply with all relevant DRC policies and procedures, particularly with respect to child protection and the code of conduct.
Any other relevant task as requested by the Head of Office in Mariupol, Deputy Head of Programme for Protection, or the Country Director.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 6-month contract, renewable dependent on renewed funding and performance.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.dk under Vacancies. This position is classified at level A11.
How to apply:
Interested? Go to www.drc.dk and find Current Vacancies. Find the job on the list and apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
If you have questions, or encounter problems with the online application process, please contact [email protected]
Applications close date: Sunday, 15 November 2015. If an appropriate candidate is identified, DRC reserves the right to recruit ahead of this deadline.
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact the DRC Ukraine Country Director, Krista Zongolowicz,[email protected]
Please note that applications sent directly to DRC staff will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.dk
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than twenty five countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
- The protection and assistance to conflict affected population is provided within a long-term, regional and rights-based approach in order to constitute a coherent and effective response to the challenges posed by today’s conflicts. Assistance consists of relief and other humanitarian aid, rehabilitation, support to return and repatriation as well as promotion of long-term solutions to displacement and its causes. In addition, support and capacity building of local and national authorities and NGOs form an integral part of DRC’s work.*
Disclaimer. Thekonsulthub.com neither screens employers nor endorses their employment opportunities, labor practices, products, or services. You are therefore advised to attempt to check the validity and accuracy of job listings on the Employers website.