Yemen: Education Specialist
If you are searching for a career/employment opportunity, why not take your time and try out on this one? Here is another Job Opportunity In Yemen: Education Specialist
Organization: Norwegian Refugee Council
Closing date: 29 Nov 2015
Education Specialist – Yemen
Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC has been working in Yemen since May 2012. In response to the current conflict and political-economic crisis, NRC has scaled up and expanded its programming across 7 Governorates reaching approximately 197,000 beneficiaries in the sectors of WASH, Shelter and Emergency Food Security. Prior to the current crisis, NRC was working in the non-formal education sector; supporting youth with vocational skills training and providing livelihoods grants. Yemen is now considered the biggest humanitarian crisis in the world within a single country at this time with 21.2 million people (approx. 82% of the population) in need of humanitarian assistance and protection. The growing humanitarian crisis has alarming consequences for the education and well-being of thousands of children and youth. About 1.8 million children have been out of school since the conflict began. With 75% of the population below the age of 25 and a growth rate estimated to see the population triple by 2050, Yemen, one of the world’s least developed countries, is under pressure to find solutions to meet the needs of children and youth. There are few humanitarian agencies responding to emergency education and gaps in this sector remain high. Globally, NRC remains committed in the sector of education in emergencies and have pledged to enable one million children to access education by 2017. As such, NRC is now looking for an experienced Education Specialist to assess, design, develop and support the implementation of NRCs Education programme in Yemen. Initial funding has been obtained from Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs to re-start the programme.
The main objective of the Education specialist is to design, develop and coordinate the education programme, lead the strategic direction via provision of technical advisory support, representation, influencing policy and practice through analysis and advocacy. This position has overall responsibility of programme quality; ensuring programme design is integrated WASH, Shelter and Food Security sector within the programme.
The Education Specialist reports to the Head of Programmes. Applicants for this position may be considered for similar positions in other countries within the region.
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners/employees and to check that its partners/employees have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
- In close collaboration with the Head of Programme, develop, coordinate, and support the implementation of NRC’s education programme in Yemen, taking the lead in assessments as required
- Overall responsible for drafting Yemen Education Strategy and annual education plans with support from Area Managers/Head of Programme
- Develop project proposals, budgets and operational plans in close coordination with the Head of Programme, Area Manager, Finance Manager and Operations Coordinator.
- In close collaboration with Area Managers, ensure the quality of the education programme, suggesting action/corrective measures and supporting in the monitoring of progress against activity and budget as well as impact
- In coordination with Area Managers, logistics and finance, support logistical needs of the education programme, including procurements
- Represent NRC at education sectoral meetings, cluster meetings and relevant education working groups at Sana’a level and if need be in operational areas
- Actively advocate in the appropriate forums for the rights of IDPs/returnees and the most marginalised as per NRC’s mandate
- Work in close coordination with the Ministry of Education, and local authorities to ensure learning exchange, capacity building and their support for NRC programme.
- Support Area Managers to develop education staff’s work plans, providing technical advice and capacity building and feeding into their performance appraisal process
- Prepare timely quality monthly, quarterly, project end and any other reports requested by the management and or the donors. These must cover the deliverables and analysis of issues, approaches and lessons learnt.
- Undertake and or supervise research and assessments, develop its ToRs and ensure quality reports are produced and shared with line manager and as agreed.
- In coordination with the M&E Officer, ensure the required quantitative and qualitative data is collected and provided as required. To further ensure close monitoring and support to the education programme.
- Documentation of good practices– case studies, successful programming approaches and lessons learnt
- Contribute to education debates at regional / global level, sharing best practices with Yemen team
- Work in coordination with NRC’s other core competencies to build synergy and develop cost effective implementation approaches
- To step in and support Yemen programme, if needed be instrumental in working as ONE team
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the Head of Programme
- Five years or more experience in management/coordination of humanitarian education programme, preferably in conflict or protracted/complex environment;
- University degree in Education / Pedagogy or other relevant fields such as Development Studies or Social Sciences
- Experience with formal (primary) and informal education sector (Youth Education and vocational skills training) is essential;
- Proven track record of setting up and implementing monitoring, documentation and learning systems
- Experience of advocacy and relationship building
- Experience of working with partners, government, local authorities and the UN Cluster system
- Proven track record of developing quality strategies, proposals and budgets
- Experience of capacity building and remote management
- Social sciense
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Structured, result oriented with the ability to analyse situation/context
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision as well as within a team
- Ability to work under pressure, problem solving on operational issues, without losing sight of strategic objective
- Able to negotiate, represent and work diplomatically with others
- Flexible, with ability to take initiative, empower and inspire others;
- Ability and tolerance of field work in insecure environment
- Significant understanding of complex emergencies and crisis contexts in the education sector
- Political and cultural awareness and experience of working where insecurity is a major issue.
- Proven communication, analytical, interpersonal, representation, negotiation and management skills
- Problem solving skills, able to work flexibly and creatively
- Team player and able to take initiative
- Fluency in English language (both written and verbal) with the ability to develop strategies and proposals
- Knowledge of the political situation in Yemen and Middle East region
- Proficiency in the Arabic language will be an asset
- Commencement: 1st January, 2016
- Contract period: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Yemen , Sana'a. Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
How to apply:Freebie:- It's free and designed for you! Claim yours here now
Please, apply through www.nrc.no, then vacancies
Disclaimer. Thekonsulthub.com neither screens employers nor endorses their employment opportunities, labor practices, products, or services. You are therefore advised to attempt to check the validity and accuracy of job listings on the Employers website.