Whether you are an individual or non-individual, you can register and obtain a TIN number in Uganda following the below instructions. Applying for a tax identification number is mandatory for all qualifying taxpayers who wish to obtain one as a way of fulfilling their tax obligations.
In this tutorial, you will be exposed to every detail about acquiring a new TIN Number in Uganda. Items covered include the entire step-by-step guide and procedure to follow in order to apply, and obtain an individual, or non-individual TIN from URA. Whether you are applying for a personal, company, or group tax ID, this post is your complete guide.
What is TIN?
In Uganda, a TIN is a unique 10 digit number that URA issues to individuals and non-individuals for tax purposes. Such taxes include but not limited to motor vehicle registration taxes, Import and Export taxes, Income tax, Value Added Taxes (VAT), Company Taxes, Operational Taxes, and many others. 1000101000 is an example of the new Uganda TIN which replaced the old P-000-10000-011 series tax IDs.
Requirements for registering a TIN Number
- Photocopies of the different identity cards, for example, National ID, Driving Permit, etc
- Active email address and phone number
- Copy of your business registration certificate
- Employer TIN
- Copy of company registration in case of a company.
- TIN Numbers of company directors in case of a company
Since everything begins online, having an active internet connection is mandatory for anyone who wants to apply for a TIN. In addition, you should have MS Office with Excel installed on your computer and Macros enabled
Online application for the Tin number in Uganda
1. Visit the URA web portal, scroll down to “download online forms” and click eForm DT-1001 for individual or DT-1002 for non-individual and save the download on your computer e.g Desktop. This is available under forms & templates for E-Registration.
2. Using MS EXCEL, open the downloaded file DT-1001 or DT-1002and enable Macros. Fill in the entire form with the correct details from start to end. Read how to enable Macros in MS excel here.
3. Click validate so the system can automatically check if your application form is free from errors. When no errors found, click generate the upload file and save it to the location of your choice – usually the same folder where the downloaded form was saved.
Uploading TIN application form on URA Portal
1. Visit the URA portal, click eServices, and again on individual registration for individual, Non-individual registration for companies, and or Group Registration.
2. From the drop-down list, select the new form and browse the generated upload file. Enter the application name, given letters, and agree to terms. Click upload and wait for the acknowledgment number.
Well done! Once you successfully upload your TIN application on the Uganda revenue authority web portal, you will be emailed with the submitted forms which you can print either immediately after uploading the files and or print using the print submitted forms feature on the portal.
The online printed forms must be submitted to the nearest URA branch office or to the exact location where your application will be processed depending on the Reference number eg, for example, Kampala South (located at Old Kampala Mosque), BW-Kampala North (located in Bwaise Mulago Kalerwe Round-about), NA-Nakawa (located towards MUBS), CR-Central offices (located at crested towers) and many other points.
- Visit the URA portal and Download Online Forms DT-1001 or DT-1002
- Open the downloaded file and Enable Macros on Excel
- Fill the form and Validate to see if no errors and then Generate an upload file
- Upload the upload file on the web portal under eServices on Individual registration.
- Submit your forms and print the soft copy
Note: Depending on the documents you selected during form filling, for example, your ID’s and any other, you should submit the printed hard copies along with those attachments since failure might lead to your tin number application form being rejected.
And once you are verified, you will be issued a New Tin Number and you will be able to pay your taxes easily. Call or Whatsapp me 0752009001 for private express help.