The process of renewing, and or, replacing your Trinidad and Tobago driver’s permit begins by making an appointment at any of the Licensing offices. Interested persons can make an appointment by either contacting the Transport Division by phone via numbers 612-2700, 612-2710, and 612-2701 or by scheduling an appointment on the appointment booking website.
Once you have scheduled the appointment, you are ready to visit the Licensing office and process your driver’s permit renewal or replacement. But before doing so, it is important for you to note that you can only renew your permit one month prior to its expiry date. Exceptions of up to 6 months prior to the expiry date is given to Trinidad and Tobago nationals who wish to travel on condition that relevant travel documents are provided as evidence.
Requirements for renewing Trinidad and Tobago Driver’s Permit
Requirements for the renewal may vary depending on the age of the applicant, and the number of years one wishes to have their driver’s permit renewed.
Under 65 years of age
- A completed Application Form No. 4
- A current Driver’s Permit due for expiration; A completed Form No. 12 “Medical Test for Driver’s Permit” is to be filled out by class 2,4,5,6 and 7 but not required by class 1 or 3. (Photographs are no longer required from the applicant)
- A Taxi Driver’s Badge and License if applicable.
56 years of age and up to 10 years renew
- A completed Form No. 4
- Their current Driving Permit
- A Completed Form No. 12 – Medical Test for a Driver’s Permit when the applicant possesses any of the following classes 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 or class 3 or;
- Taxi Driver’s Badge and License if applicable
- Driver’s permit fee is $500.00, where the applicant has not yet attained the age of sixty-one (61) years
- Permit holders who have not yet attained the age of sixty-two (62) years shall renew their permit for four (4) years at a cost of $80.00.
- Permit holders who have not yet attained the age of sixty-three (63) years shall renew their permit for three (3) years at a cost of $60.00.
- Permit holders who have not yet attained the age of sixty-four (64) years shall renew their permit for two (2) years at a cost of $40.00.
- Permit holders who have yet attained the age of sixty-five (65) years shall renew their permit for one (1) year at a cost of $20.00
- (These fees are payable for no more than six (6) months after the date of expiration)
- Driving Permit Fee for Ten (10) years is $1,000.00. However, it should be noted that there are no provisions for renewal of a Driver’s Permit for ten (10) years where it has expired for more than six (6) months, three (3) years or five (5) years.
Expired driver’s permits fees
- Less than six (6) months – $500.00
- More than six (6) months less than three (3) years – $875.00
- More than three (3) years but less than five (5) years – $1750.00
- More than five (5) years – The applicant is required to re-sit the regulation and driving test
Persons who have lost their driving permits and with to obtain replacements must avail the below.
- A police report which provides evidence that the permit has been the lost, stolen or damaged
- Completed application Form 4 items (1-14) and a sworn declaration of item 15 on the reverse side of the form before a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner of Affidavits
- Cost for Duplicate/Replacement of Driver’s Permits:
- Fees for valid driver’s permit can be obtained, if the permit is still valid or has not expired, as outlined below:
- First duplicate – $70.00
- Subsequent duplicates $300.00 (After the first duplicate has been issued)
- Fees for a duplicate provisional permits -$70.00
If you have all of the requirements, renewing or replacing your Trinidad and Tobago driver’s permit is very easy the same way it is when performing searches for a driving permit or motor vehicle registration particulars using the MoWT app. All you need is to make an appointment, present the relevant documents to the licensing office and you will be able to obtain renewal or replacement.
The Ministry of Works and Transport, Head Office, Corner Richmond, and London Streets
Port-of-Spain. Tel: (868) 625-1225. Email: [email protected]
Opening hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public Holidays