Common Umeme Yaka Meter Uganda Questions Solved
Umeme Limited is Uganda’s largest electricity distributor. It is shared that the company distributed up to 97% of electricity used in Uganda, with the remaining 3% of energy being supplied from other private stakeholders. Since 2004 after Uganda Electricity board was sold by the government, the country has gone through a series of changes in the electricity sector including price per unit charge, Yaka touch pay introduction and lots of others.
In this post, I am sharing with you those common Umeme Yaka metering system questions which many people ask. Right from how to switch from the old paper bill electricity meters to the new Yaka what you pay for is what you use, Yaka token load, balance check, meter signs, buying Yaka token, where to buy, and etc, you are likely to have your question answered and right here in this post.
Jane, a recently connected Umeme Yaka electricity called me. She narrated how she was in total darkess after her Yaka meter showed 0.00 on its screen. Being a new user, she had neglected the idea of learning and understanding how it all worked until when she went to a forced darkness. She called asking me share how to buy and load Yaka, a thing which prompted me to share with here so that even others who have the same problem could be answered. Below are answers to most popular common Umeme Yaka Meter questions.
What does Umeme mean?
Umeme is a “swahili” word which means lighting or elctricity. Umeme Limited is an Electricity or lighting company in Uganda. If you still didn’t understand what this was all about, I am hoping that as of now, you know what it is.
What is Yaka?
Yaka is the new electricity metering system which works on a pay before you use basis. It’s platform requires no monthly paper bills, and that is what exactly it replaced. In other words, what you pay for is what exactly you use.
How do I get connected to Umeme Yaka?
The shortest way to get connected to the above service is to submit your application to Umeme assuming you are a new customer looking out to get connected to the grid. For old customers, its automatic, once your area is undergoing a switch or change from the old metering system, you will be switched to the Yaka system.
How to use Umeme Yaka
In order to use Umeme Yaka, you must be connected to the new electricity metering system. And you can only use it for loading your bought token, checking balance and accessing status as a user. But for the service provider, they can use it in many ways. But briefly, you use it by way of pressing the key combination depending on what you are doing.
How to pay Umeme bill / How to load Umeme Yaka
Paying for your Umeme prepaid bill is very simple, and which can be done using a number ways for example, Airtel money, MTN Mobile money, Payway and the rest. This too applies for the postpaid metering system.
What is required to pay your Umeme Yaka Bill?
In order to pay your bill or buy a Yaka token, you need your account number. You ca find your account number on the card which was give to you the first time you were connected, and or on your paper bill for postpaid users.
How to check umeme balance?
Checking your electricity or Umeme Yaka balance is simple. Simply look at your Yaka meter screen closely. You will see your balance on your screen as it counts down per usage till it reached 0.00. For postpaid, wait for your paper bill or even use mobile money to check your balance.